Protect our parks, say NO to proposed Whitecaps Stadium location
Protect our Parks, Say No to proposed Stadium waterfront location
Whitecaps is considering a location for their stadium/entertainment complex (which would probably mean another huge complex including gambling) on our waterfront. They are considering a location near the helipad site adjacent to Crab Park.
There are many reasons why this is not acceptable to the Central Waterfront Coalition (CWC), and should not be to the rest of us, including:
* This is public land, owned by the Port -- no public land should be traded for private development
* No development should proceed without a masterplan for the central waterfront
* Crab Park is a hard-fought-for gem in eastside downtown that would be overwhelmed by a 20-storey neighbour. It functions as the living room of the Downtown Eastside, and increasingly for the downtown in general as eco-density proceeds
* The ensuing traffic and congestion will overwhelm the neighbourhood and streets
* The marine habitat of the foreshore would be threatened
* Stadium-goers don't require a water view, yet this huge mass will blot out views for everything east, west and south of the site.
The CWC needs your involvement to keep the Stadium off the downtown waterfront. Spread the word, tell people about the CWC (www.centralwaterfrontcoalition.org), and send us your ideas.
Write letters to our Federal, Provincial, and Municipal representatives, the Port, and the press. Write to us for more information.